Thursday, September 23, 2021

Turnabout is Fair Play

My daughter had something my son wanted tonight.   She wouldn't give it to him until he told her why he wanted it.   So he told her.   She said he then had to explain why he wanted it but in a different way the second time.  He couldn't use the same words, it had to be completely different. 

She was unbending and told him none of the explanations were good or met the criteria.  Finally, she relented and let him have the balloon.   A bit later he went off to bed with the pile of balloons.  I heard my daughter screaming that scream that indicates injustice, not injury.   

What, had happened, I asked her.   "He took my balloon!"  So I went down the hall to get his side of the story and he did indeed take the one balloon out of the stack that she had wanted to keep.   I had him come back to the craft room where we were making a lighthouse for a school project my daughter had.

He came in, leaned over to me, and whispered something.   I had no idea at all what he was saying, but I nodded along because I could tell he thought he was being clever, so I went along with it.   What he did, was definitely clever.   He did to his sister, exactly what she'd done to him.   And she didn't like it one bit. 

In the end, he gave it to her but she didn't want it back when he ended the return by saying he'd had the balloon in his mouth. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Art projects can be very hard for my daughter to do independently.   She can do some of the work herself, but she doesn't know what supplies we have and can't look around to make suggestions, even.   My husband wanted to make sure she did the project herself, and we tried to help her do so, but we had to be involved quite a bit. 

The Big Boy Update:  It was my son's week to go see Dhruti and when my daughter heard this morning, she was very sad.   I asked my son if he wanted to go.  He would have gotten out of school early if he did. He said he didn't really have anything to talk to Dhruti about so she could have the appointment.   She was so happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment