Thursday, September 9, 2021

Midnight and Busted

My husband went upstairs for something at what is now past midnight, only to find our son with his iPad and the Nintendo Switch in his bed.   We are discussing what the punishment, I mean consequence, should be now.   

When I was a child, it was called "punishment" but these days, "consequence" seems to be the more popular term.   But knowing how my son is going to be tired and grumpy in the morning, right now I believe I'm going to tell him he has a punishment and that it will be <whatever we decide after I write this>. 

He knows he shouldn't be on his electronics.   They aren't even kept in his room.   He also knows he won't just get away with it.   And that is enough to keep him from doing this on most occasions.   Sometimes he can't sleep, but getting on his device is not going to end well.   

The Big Boy Update:  Children aren't afraid to click around and try things.  It's one of the ways they learn so quickly on computers.   Today, he and I were on a call with his teacher and the other families about an upcoming day trip to a nature camp.   He was clicking all around, learning about Zoom while the call was going on.   He discovered things I'd never even noticed before. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got very upset today when she heard the orthodontist say they would probably have to, "wiggle those two baby teeth out".   She was being evaluated for the future need for braces.   I had a discussion with her about it later.   It's hard to understand that a little discomfort now (and even that with anesthesia) is worth it to avoid a lot of discomfort later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment