Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Delicate Subjects

I'm finding that doing some of the things I want to cover on Filament Stories is potentially fraught with opinions and conflict.   At this point, nothing that I've done has upset anyone.   On the contrary, most things have been received with support and positive comments, but there are opinions on how things should be done or shouldn't be done, and I'm not interested in getting into a huge discussion or debate with anyone. 

Some topics are based on misinformation, but people believe strongly that something is the case, even when research has been done to indicate that it isn't so.   There is also the safety of various aspects of 3D printing.   You're dealing with a robot in a way and it has a hot element in it that melts plastic.   Treating it with respect is important, but some people have more strict guidelines and others are more casual about how they approach 3D printing. 

Aside from discussing and showing 3D printed models and talking about filament, I have an ever-growing list of topics I want to cover, but as I approach each one, I'm making sure I'm educated on the subject in order to be prepared for when someone gets upset because, for instance, small magnetic balls are a hazard for young children.   

That one surprised me because so many models that might be printed could be unsafe for very small children, but magnets did seem to be upsetting for one person.   So I think about each topic and make are I'm considering all the options.  Then, and this is always the tricky part, I try to convey the information all within sixty seconds.

The audience we have has been more than supportive and welcoming, and I know some people won't always agree with everything, but I do want to try to present 3D printing in a positive light and not a controversial one.   Thinking about all the angles has been more complex than I thought it would be when I started.

The Big Boy Update:  I printed some wand parts that could be combined into different shapes and styles.  I wasn't sure if the children would like them but my son loved them so much he asked if I could print more, picking out four more colors and requesting certain parts.   I have four printers busily printing wand parts for him while he's asleep tonight. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is so excited about both her fidget collection as well as getting together with Ashley to swap, trade play with, and talk about them.   She has been bugging me to message Ashley's mother just about every day.   They're going to meet after school later this week and my daughter is so excited to show off the new fidgets she has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment