Saturday, September 4, 2021

From Scratch

I'm building a 3D printer from scratch.   And by that, I mean completely from scratch.  I've had to source the parts and am working against a CAD model of an open-source design.   It's going to be the fastest, most powerful printer I have when I'm done and the only way you can have one of these printers is by building them yourself.  

No one is selling them.   I'm fairly lazy and would have partially preferred to just find one and buy it.   But the process of building it myself is going to teach me things about 3D printing I need to learn a lot about.   There are several areas I am hugely lacking in knowledge on, but I have one thing that's making that part seem less worrisome: I'm building the printer with a friend. 

This is an online 3D printing friend I've never met.   We're both undertaking the build at the same time and the fact that we have two of us working remotely but together is making the whole project seem much more friendly.   

It's going to be a long build as we have a lot going on, but since neither of us is in any hurry, it works out for both of us. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son has some very good friends online.  He plays games with them and because we can hear what he's saying, we know it's not a bad situation.   You never know who your child will meet online. 

The TIny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter "played dead" tonight when I came up to see if she was in bed.   She did such a good job she almost got away with it, with me changing her into pajamas and realizing just how much she's grown.   She couldn't keep from laughing though when the dog jumped on the bed, pounced on her, and licked her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment