Monday, May 10, 2021

The Family Easter egg hunt

My daughter loves to have Easter egg hunts.   Two years ago there was a miscommunication between my mother-in-law on when and where the egg hunting was going to occur and as a result, there were lots of extra eggs.   The eggs had been loaded with candy of the kind that didn't go bad quickly, like Smarties or other such pressed or hard candy.   The filled eggs stayed in a stashed spot for a month or so and from time to time my daughter would ask if she and a friend could have another Easter egg hunt even though egg hunting season was long gone. 

This year we ran into the same situation, with more eggs than could reasonably be hidden.   This was mostly due to a mother who bought eggs at one place, candy at another place, and then found pre-filled eggs at a third place.   In the end, there were just a lot of eggs and only two children who needed to hunt for them.  

Tonight my daughter remembered the eggs again and we ended up having a family egg hunt as our activity for the night.   The children picked who they wanted to hide eggs for and who they wanted to have  hide their eggs.  We each hid five eggs in different parts of the house and then helped, if needed, the person find their eggs.  

My son and I hid eggs for each other and my daughter and her father also cross hid for each other.  My son found my eggs fairly quickly and then did a bang-up job hiding eggs for me in the basement.   He would give me hints not as to area, but in how I might think about the type of location he hid a specific egg. 

It was an odd kind of family fun for a night in May, but no one complained about having candy for a late dessert.

The Big Boy Update:  I went up to tuck my son in tonight after he had had some unsettling thoughts after going to bed.   He asked me to tell him a story about Gramps and me so I told him about how we would go  to yard sales sometimes together on Saturdays.   I told him after we got home, Gramps would go in the basement and work on the things he'd gotten.  He asked me what I meant so I said like I like to spend time in the basement working on 3D printing, Gramps likes to spend time in the basement working on the things he got at yard sales.  My son said, "Oh, like your 3D printing, only important, because they were antiques and your stuff is just plastic you can print a million of."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter didn't make finding the eggs easy for her father.  My son had found the ones I'd hidden for him and I was almost done finding the ones he'd hidden for me before they got done.   Maybe because it's so hard for her to find the eggs, she wanted to make the job harder since we can see.  Or maybe she just wanted to be tricky.


No comments:

Post a Comment