Saturday, May 22, 2021

An Unstoppable Urge

My son has had a lot of issues today.  He went to a birthday party, which was fun.   He came home to get a marble run set to take over to the party when he discovered Jay (the birthday boy) had gotten a set from someone as a present.   They intermixed all the (relatively costly) pieces and at during the excitement of the moment, my son told Jay he could have his collection of sets.

We didn't know this had happened until Jay's father texted us asking if that was really my son's intent.   They worked it out so that my son will go back over tomorrow, they'll make a big run of marbles, video it, and then separate out the sets so my son can get his back. 

This whole experience upset my son in hindsight and the rest of the day he's been talking in baby talk, and has been difficult or defiant or mean.  

It was a valuable lesson, but my son hasn't handled it well and continued to get in trouble with it.   At one point, my daughter tried to help with some popping material from some boxes.   She suggested he jump on them to relieve stress—and it worked.   It worked so well my son wanted to keep the packing plastic beside him on the sofa.   He said to me, "Mom, don't touch or move these, even if. you have an unstoppable urge."   

The plastic remains on the sofa as I type this, despite my unstoppable urge to recycle them.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son lost the right to watch television on the T.V. in the living room after repeatedly eating or drinking in the room.  He has never had permission to do so, so when we found him with a Selzer water sitting on the sofa material that wasn't good, twenty minutes later when he was back, eating ice cream on the sofa the remotes were removed.   We're still not sure why he did it.   We think he wasn't paying attention, but he's never, ever been allowed to eat ice cream on the sofa so it's confusing. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter heard Nana tell stories about ghosts, which she said were real, and her experiences with them.  My daughter currently won't sleep in her room because she's scared of ghosts and sounds in the house that might mean they're around.   I don't know what to do about this.   She's in my son's room right now, but he really didn't want her there, and that won't work on school nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment