Friday, May 14, 2021

Distanced Learning Not Due to Weather

I picked my daughter up from school early today to take her to an appointment to see Dhruti.   While I was waiting for her to arrive from her classroom, the front office lady who has kindly checked us in and out every time we've needed to ever since kindergarten, asked me what I did.   I wasn't sure where she was going with the question until she said she said the administration was asking teachers how they'd feel about going to a day of distanced learning tomorrow, suddenly, without time to prepare. 

The reason was the current gas situation.   The hacking of the oil computer systems which caused the pipeline delivering gasoline has been causing chaos at the gas stations.   I'm writing about this in summary not for those of you reading about it tomorrow, but for those who might read it years from now, possibly even my children, who won't remember the week where the oil dried up and then came back on the following week. 

Some of the transportation vehicles were low on gas and it was questionable if all the students could make it into school.   Staying home might also save on gasoline for those who were low.   And since there were already some students still doing distanced learning this semester, it wasn't a hard switch to make. 

After school released, the announcement came out and my daughter will be at home tomorrow, not doing an asynchronous day, but an actual school day at home, attending meetings, and doing her work during the periods in which it's assigned.   She'll even be doing P.E. from our bonus room.   Monday, hopefully, school and gas will be back to normal. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son said to me as he was about to sit down to dinner, "I have a cool a-Natalie". I asked him if he meant "analogy" and he kept right on talking, saying, "yeah, an analogy..." and proceeded to tell me something I have already forgotten.   But it was very important and about Nerf guns, I know that much. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to know what kind of ice cream I was eating and could she smell it?   She was not too thrilled to find out it was espresso chip ice cream.   I offered to give her a bite, but she declined, saying, "I think I would regret it."

No comments:

Post a Comment