Friday, May 14, 2021

A Friends Cancer Update

My friend, because I consider her that as well as an honorary member of our family, is struggling with the results of cancer treatment.   Edna, the lovely lady who's cleaned my house since 1997, found out she had breast cancer at the end of last year.   It wasn't a large mass and it was easily removed via surgery at the beginning of the year.  

That's when her real problems with the battle against cancer started, though.  If it was as simple as surgical removal, she would have been back to her life in a few short weeks.   It's all the after surgery parts of the battle against cancer that have been hardest. 

Chemotherapy, she's told me, is simply awful.  She's exhausted and drained and yet has to go back again and again for treatments.   Once she's past that, she has radiation to follow.   She keeps hoping to get back to work, where she says she feels normal, but her doctor has told her it may be six months before she has her full energy back. 

Emotionally, this is hard on her.   Physically it's grueling.   And financially it's devastating because she's going months and months without her standard income.    Everyone is trying to help where they can, which is heartwarming.  Everyone wants her to feel like herself again and to not have to worry about the cancer still being in her body. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son is sleeping in the bonus room tonight, sleepover fashion.   I went up to tell him he had to turn the light out and stop playing video games when I heard him dashing down the hall from his bedroom.   He said, "I just needed to get my Adderall."   He only takes Adderall in the mornings on school days.   I thought it was a ruse, even though the lights were out in the bonus room when I opened the door seconds later.   I told my husband about it and he said, "do you think he meant the melatonin he has in his room for when he can't get to sleep?"  That had to be it, it sure confused me, though. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has a new game to play in the car.   She has a raised maze she can navigate through with an attached pointer.  The maze is tricky because it has shifting walls and depending on how you have them set, the maze changes.   She calls out the choices to me and I tell her which direction to go, navigating blindly as it were, to the exit she can feel the path to with her hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment