Sunday, May 2, 2021

Closed Again

Word has gotten out that the backyard is open again.   More and more children are arriving, knocking on our door, and asking if our children can come out to play or if they can jump on the trampoline.   We like the positive and beneficial social interactions, but we also expect the trampoline and all other equipment to be respected and taken care of. 

Today I came home after getting my second COVID-19 vaccination shot and found five to ten pounds of sand on the trampoline along with food wrappings on the ground.  I stormed downstairs and said, "that's it, the trampoline is closed."

It turned out my son was involved.   He had been the partial victim of peer pressure from the older children.   I told him I'd clean the trampoline, but it was closed until further notice.   My son was upset and I had a discussion about letting people talk him into doing things they know are bad, especially if they could break something or worse, cause someone to be injured, 

The closure will slow down the number of children in the yard for now.   That was a positive side-benefit to me because it was getting too busy out there. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son has trouble covering his tracks.   He does something he shouldn't, like eating pretzels in the living room, and leaves the wrappers behind on the end table.   Or he wants to play outside and decides to sneak food to the other people, and they leave the wrappers on the ground.

The TIny Girl Chronicles:  My son has been doing a lot of flashing of us lately.  Through a conversation that followed we found out my daughter has no idea what a penis looks like, her brother doesn't want to let her touch his, and she thinks that's awful and would never touch his, even if he would let her.   Solution: I'm printing her a model of a penis.   


No comments:

Post a Comment