Friday, January 31, 2020

The Wellness Check

We had the children's wellness checks today.  I got my son from school early while my husband picked up my daughter a bit before normal dismissal time.  When I got to the office they had already arrived and my daughter was in a cranky mood.   She wasn't thrilled because she'd been taken out of school early—which was a surprise all around.   She hadn't had to ride home in the stifling hot cab.  But who knows the reasons for children's moods—I certainly haven't figured them out as of yet.

The amount of commotion my family made while at the pediatrician's office seemed, well, a lot.   I asked the doctor when she was in the room with us after a while if we were anomalous in our behavior, which seemed all over the place.   She assured us it depended a lot on when in the day the appointment was and how keyed up the children were, if they needed to burn energy, were anxious or, and we had this one as a bonus: if there were siblings in the room together.

Everything went well with lots of questions asked by the doctor to both us and the children.   She checked them out and then the very most important thing that my daughter wouldn't stop asking about was when my son was going to get the flu vaccination?   It was as if we were on a long car ride in which your child repeatedly asks, "are we there yet?" and you keep saying, "not yet, but soon."

My daughter was very excited about her brother getting this flu vaccination.  She didn't know how it was going to be done, guessed it was going to hurt some but not too much.   She wasn't anxious at all about it, she was almost eager to have her brother experience some medical procedure while she had nothing done to her.   So much has happened to her medical-wise that I formulated this theory after her persistent interest.

It was finally time for the vaccination.  My son was completely fine with it beforehand.   We had talked about it hurting just a bit and then being over.  Should he look at or away from the needle?   He decided to look away on advice from his father.  After it happened, which was very quick indeed, my son said, "oh, I've experienced something like this before.  I give it a one out of ten for pain."

The Big Boy Coolness:  My son tries to play it cool a lot of times.   He wants to be cool in the eyes of his friends, peers, relatives and other adults.   But today at the pediatrician he wasn't trying to be cool about the flu shot, he really was laid back about it and not worried at all.  I was very impressed with him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and Madison are having a sleepover in "The Secret Hideout" which is a closet in a bedroom upstairs.   I've given them the whole room as well as the bathroom and closet.   They had the dog, but she came downstairs just now, which I'm glad for, because I would miss a night without the dog in the room here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment