Sunday, January 19, 2020

This & That & Other Stuff

Let's see, what's been happening around here lately?  My husband took my son to see Star Wars this afternoon, the children made a glorious mess of the bonus room, which was already in a state with a fort built from the sixty-four large piece fort set Santa brought the children.   They had added appendages on so many times there wasn't much bonus room left that hadn't been "fortified."  It all came crashing down when a group of boys was in there playing midday. 

My husband spent a good bit of time disassembling things before the movie, and I took over to finish the job with my daughter's help while they were at the movie.   My daughter and her best friend, Madison, had piled more things into their secret closet in the guest room, so she and I de-cluttered it to the extent that you could manage to get without climbing over things.

Madison and my daughter had used some of the fort pieces to build a large wall at the edge of the bunk beds, something I was expecting my son to be unhappy about on account of it was change in the room (which he hates).  He didn't like it but refrained from tearing it down upon threat of an unnamed consequence (which is the best kind).

I had a bad day, staying in bed a lot of the day.   I can't decide if I'm just lazy and wanted to have a day off or if it was pain-based.   Sometimes it's hard to tell with me.   I don't like the amount of medication I have to take to control the nerve pain.   I had another injection in my spine a few weeks ago, which stirred things up pain-wise, but we're hopeful it's a good sign that we've found the right spot inflammation-wise and things will ultimately settle down and be better than before the two injections.   For now, I do the best I can, which I beat myself up over because I'm not as active as I think I should be.

I walked the dog the other day and should probably get more exercise than the occasional weekend race.   My husband and I have some goals we'd like to meet for diet, exercise, and weight.   I need to reduce the amount of sugar I'm consuming.   The holiday candy, cookies, and other sweets are largely gone, which should help things.

That's a random summary of things happening here.   The children are off school tomorrow for Martin Luther King day, so they stayed up late tonight.  My daughter was able to stay up and hopefully has been able to shift back her sleep schedule to more normal times instead of falling asleep at five o'clock in the evening and waking up at four a.m.

Family Jewelry Competition:  I challenged the children to a jewelry-making competition tonight with a bead set they got years ago, which has gone unplayed with for a long time.   They enthusiastically created things for well over an hour, asking me to take pictures of their creations for the judging (which never happened) and for putting in my blog post.   Here are some of the things they made in the first round before we decided to try and connect every bead in the set for the longest necklace possible.

Winner of the most color-coordinated necklace


Winner of the gaudiest ring


Winner of the most asymmetrical necklace and largest centerpiece by my daughter


Winner of the non-jewelry category: my son's laser spy bracelet

No comments:

Post a Comment