Saturday, January 4, 2020

Pull My Finger

My husband and I went to a White Elephant/Dirty Santy/Post Holiday party tonight.   We've been in years past and it's nice to see some of the friends we only see once per year or so at this gathering.  The party was in January but held the same function as if it had been before Christmas with the added advantage of being able to regift something you got that you didn't want or need.

The guidelines for the gifts are very flexible as over the years different themes and gift types have appeared.   It's a friendly bunch that attends and no one ever leaves angry because they didn't get a particular item.

This year the first gift was a game for children four years and older, called "Pull My Finger".   It featured a monkey with his butt sticking out.  You spun and pulled the monkey's finger however many times the spinner indicated.   At some point, the monkey would have had his finger pulled too many times and then would release all the air added into his butt (which had inflated every time his finger was pulled) making a farting noise.

Clearly, this was the present I needed to win to take home to my children.  As it turned out, I was second to last, executed a steal and the game is sitting on the bookshelf for the morning.   My husband wasn't so sure it was the best choice.   I stand firm in my decision, we'll see if the children share my enthusiasm tomorrow.

The Big Boy Update:  My son and I made candles the other day.   I got candle making supplies for Christmas and have been looking forward to making them but have been otherwise occupied with getting the house in order again and other events, visitors, and other distractions until the other day.  He and I had a very easy time melting some of the wax in a double boiler, adding scents, preparing wicks and then pouring the melted wax.  He had an idea to add needles from the Christmas tree into the one we added wintergreen and peppermint oils to.   It looked very nice when it had hardened.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter doesn't like for things to end or die.  At the Santa Claus event at our clubhouse, Mrs. Claus had made her a Rudolph balloon.   I told her it wouldn't last forever, but when it eventually deflated she was beside herself.   She held onto the little limp balloon and said, "Even when you die, you won’t be gone because you'll be in my heart. Don’t worry Rudolph, you’ll be back to normal soon. I love you. Mrs. Claus will bring you back to life next year."

No comments:

Post a Comment