Tuesday, January 21, 2020

I’m Bored to Death

I was coming back from taking my son to school this morning when my husband called me, asking when I'd be home.  I was doing a thing I do commonly: sitting in the car in the garage, checking emails on my iPad.   The car seat was warm in the sub-freezing weather, my coffee was in the cup holder in the console and the dog was asleep in the passenger seat.   It's a good place to get things done.

I said I'd be right in and asked what he needed?  He said my daughter was bored and wondered if my mother might be available to spend some time with her today.   I called my mother when we hung up and we made a plan for the day.  She was going to the store to get ingredients to make vegetable soup so the timing was good as my daughter could come over and help her cook it.   We planned to meet her and my father at Whole Foods for lunch and then they'd take her home for an afternoon of cooking and fun with the two of them.

My mother had an appointment mid-afternoon so I sent with my daughter two things: a MadLibs book and a Candyland game modified to be played with chocolate (one of those 5Below buys I couldn't pass up.)  I told them the MadLibs book had been cousin Olivia's when she was young.   While we ate lunch we read through some of the completed MadLibs Olivia completed years ago.

My daughter headed off to my parents.  I'll let her tell you about the soup making in her own words in her section below.   She played Candy Land with my mother.  She was the winner and got to eat the large chocolate coin for the winner but they saved the chocolate playing pieces so we could play here again sometime soon.

My daughter played MadLibs with my father.   She told me Grampsie (what she likes to call him) kept reading the sentences before asking for the words, instead of keeping the story until all the words were filled in.   She said, "he got it though after I reminded him."

Then,  after all that fun, my daughter arrived home.   After a whole afternoon of fun with my parents, not five minutes after she was home she informed her father, "I'm bored to death."   Such is the plight of a child on track out.

The Big Boy Update:  I asked my daughter what to write about for my son's update today.   She told me he did some knitting work.   He brought home a small wall hanging he made in art class using yarn on a small loom.   We have a lot of artwork coming home lately from my son.  He likes doing all sorts of things in art class which is filtering over to home during his spare time.   He is quite creative with the things he comes up with.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  (My daughter's words) I made vegetable soup with Mimi today.  I cut the carrots and celery.  I cooked the beans and I taste-tested everything to make sure they were ready.  Then I tasted the soup.  It was delicious.  And then we lived happily ever after.  One more thing—and we played hide and go seek before we left.   Do you know why we played hide and go seek?  Because it's my favorite game.

No comments:

Post a Comment