Monday, January 6, 2020

Master Carpet

We've had the hardwood floors in our master bedroom for almost a month now.   I am very pleased we decided to have them put in.   The transition from the hallway into the bedroom had to be redone so the threshold had continuous wood planks coming in at the different lengths, standard to hardwood floor installations.

Martin, who did our original floors and updated our master last month, did such a good job you can't tell where the old boards end and the new ones begin.  You can't tell any difference from the floors in the other areas to the new floors in the master bedroom.   It's beautiful and I love it.

There is a different feeling in the room now.   It feels cooler and yet warmer at the same time.   We have a natural finish, meaning there is no color added to the floors in the polyurethane.  It has a warm, dark honey look and feels welcoming while at the same time having an air of organized cleanliness.

I made some changes in the room that have been long overdue.   Since moving here when my son was one week old, we've had a laundry basket at the side of the long dresser.  This was ideal initially as we had the changing station for my son and then my daughter on that dresser.   We'd pull off the soiled onesie and drop it straight into the basket without ever having to take our hand off the squirming child.  

But that was some years ago and it was high time for the laundry basket to move into the closet.   My children resisted the change with loud complaints.   At the end of each day, they change into pajamas, which we keep in a drawer in our bedroom.  It was easy for them to put their day clothes into the basket in our room but an unreasonable request (so they claimed) to have to walk to the closet instead—even though they were getting in the tub just adjacent to the closet.

I held firm and told them I realized it was wholly unreasonable for us to ask them to take the extra ten steps to the new location, but sadly (for them), the basket wasn't coming back.   They adjusted.   It took all of three days and the complaints stopped.  

The other update was a stylish trash can.   A friend mentioned the utilitarian black plastic trash can and how it didn't seem fitting in our bedroom.   But it was large and, well, I didn't really have any other comment about it because when we moved in it was available and I'd just stuck it there, not thinking much about style, only functionality.  

It was a good point though, so I ordered brushed stainless steel fashionable trash can that had a good bit less in the way storage but sported a higher degree of style.  I see it as I sit here in my "office" while I type these blog posts, read my daughter's braille homework and check email.  I like it.

There have been multiple discussions about what carpet to add to the room. Where the carpet would be, what size and if there would be more than one carpet such as one on either side of the bed.   In the absence of any clear decision, we have gone with hardwood only in the room.   And it's turned out that's what we like.   Which makes things easy.   I like no carpet.  Hardwoods coupled with the Roomba that was my Christmas present and love the clean feeling smooth hardwoods under my feet.

As we thought about the carpet I remembered my parent's house as a child.   At one point (I believe, I was young) they decided to remove the carpet from their bedroom and redo the hardwoods underneath.   When they had them refinished they decided to get an oriental rug to put in the room.   I was a bit baffled because the rug was about the size of the room, leaving only the edges of the hardwoods visible.   The room looked lovely, but as a child, I didn't understand why they did all that work only to have almost the same result end the end.   Today, as an adult, I can understand.

They Were So Sorry For Me:  I made a mistake today.   I knew my schedule for the day in the morning but I forgot mid-day as we talked about going to see Frozen II again as a family.   We were all excited until I suddenly realized I had a steroid injection in my spine right slam in the middle of the movie.   I was very disappointed.   It was the last day of the holiday break for my son and the last day we could go to the movie together.   My husband had even bought me a ticket.   I was disappointed.   My children both told me more than once they were so sorry I couldn't go.   They wished I could go and were sad I wasn't going to be able to join them.   They were very sweet about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment