Thursday, January 9, 2020

Kevo

I name things.   Or rather I like to name things.   I like a name that has some creativity, shows you thought about the thing, isn't something overused or worn out and has some personal meaning.  I spent a lot of time thinking about names for our children.   I had even kept a list of potential baby names for the twenty years prior to when I actually became pregnant because I knew picking names for my children would be the biggest naming event of my life.

I'm one of those people that sits at the login screen on a game and tries name after name until I get something that's not already taken that doesn't have 37 or 21 added to the end.   My husband knows this and therefore lets me name things around the house when a unique identifier needs to be selected.

I've named all of our network servers and WiFi access points.   The computer-related things like this are really his domain,  but he knows I'll be unhappy in the bringing it up way too many times over the life of the thing if I dislike the name he picked, so he lets me make the decision.

Sometimes I name things that don't necessarily need a name.  We could have called our iRobot Roomba that was my Christmas present by either of those two names but I told the children and him I'd named him Kevo.   I'm not sure what gender most people perceive their Roomba's to be, but mine seems male.

No one asked why I choose the name or if it meant anything.  It wasn't until a few days ago that we had friends over and one of them asked.  Kevo is Greek for vacuum.   And it sounded nice.   And male.  I talk to Kevo a lot.   I like to tell him he's doing a good job.

Today as he came out of our closet and didn't sound well.   I went over and picked him up.   I wasn't sure what was supposed to happen but he calmed down when I flipped him over.  There was a large ball of hair from the hairstyling dummy that my daughter had probably let fall to the floor in the living room on Kevo's little sweeper arm.   But the best part was the other thing he picked up on his cleaning route:


The Big Boy Update:   My son played street hockey today with the other boys on the street.   This is a good thing.   He doesn't interact with them in group outdoor sports that often.   Hopefully, he'll want to do more now that they've found something in common across the group to play.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter, mother and I went to see Frozen II this afternoon.   I haven't been to a movie with my mother for a long, long time.   I enjoyed seeing the movie again with the two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment