Monday, January 20, 2020

The Hair Salon

My daughter and her best friend, Madison, like to do their hair.   They've sequestered various hair tools and accessories in their "secret hideout" otherwise known as the guest room bathroom and closet.  Most of their hair salon involves wetting their hair and brushing it.   Sometimes they put headbands, hair ties or hair clips in their hair.

My daughter loves to make styles up on the dummy head I have (named 'Creepy').   When she does this she pulls out my drawer of hair tools.  I asked her if she'd like some of the items up in their secret hideout for when they played hair salon.   My daughter was definitely interested and asked for a few things she liked but didn't have many of like small hair clips.

This morning I went to the dollar store and got a collection of things for her and Madison to use.   At home, I went through all the hair accessories I'd gotten over the years for her hair that I didn't use, including going to the attic and getting some things I'd retired.  

I set them up with lots of things to try, including foam hair rollers I got from the dollar store.  My daughter found places to store all the items in the drawers in the hideout's bathroom, including a water spray bottle so they could wet their hair without putting their heads in the sink and getting the towels wet in the process of drying their hair.   I'm interested in what they'll come up with next.   I want to teach my daughter some things but she doesn't want to learn something until she's ready.  Right now she's in the, "I already know that" mode, even when she doesn't know what I'm talking about.

The Hide and Go Seek Closet:  As I was taking the hair things up to the secret hideout with my daughter this afternoon, my son followed.   They told me to not enter yet with the understanding they were going to hide in the little closet and I was to find them.   This is not a big closet, you can touch all the sides standing the middle of the roughly square-shaped space.   What there is, that worked to their advantage, was a lot of stuff: blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, toys, etc.   When I came around the corner I couldn't see either of them.   My son was on a shelf up, hidden behind a large, watermelon bean bag.   My daughter was up on the very top shelf, in a ball with her back against two other large stuffed animals.   I didn't see her there at first.  They wanted a second go-round so I went out into the bedroom and counted to twenty.   When I got back my son was under a pile of blankets, giving away his position by his squirming.   My daughter was in a tiny cubby at the top, back corner of the closet.  I told her I was duly impressed and explained to them what the word, "contortionist" meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment