Saturday, February 1, 2020

Bored

My daughter is bored, she tells me.  She had a sleepover with her best friend, Madison, last night.   She and Madison did all kinds of fun and different things from directly after school until about noon today when Madison went home.   Not five minutes later my daughter was flopping down on our bed, saying she was bored.  

I tried to come up with some suggestions but she wasn't in a good mood, didn't want to hear it and told me to, "go away."   This unkind comment got her ejected from our room.   I checked in on her ten minutes later where I found her eating a container of peaches and listening to The Neverending Story on the Alexa in the kitchen.

I tried to talk to her about finding things to do that would be fun or entertaining to her alone.   I said it must be no fun to need to have someone to do something with to be entertained.   I made some suggestions, including saying she could create her own blog that I would help her with, but nothing interested her right then.

She fell down our stairs yesterday, got a knot on her head and then later hurt her foot or ankle.   She wanted to jump on the trampoline but we talked her out of that and into some Advil to help with the inflammation.   Her father is trying to get her interested in watching (listening to) Cinderella since she was Cinderella for the special dinner at Disney.   That may work later but for now she's watching some cartoon on Disney +.

Keeping her entertained is hard.   Her brother has the opposite situation—doing things with him is something we have to ask to do.   My daughter is going to have to learn how to find meaningful things to do.  Yes, they may be harder to find because she's blind, but blind people around the globe manage this task and she will learn to do so too.

The Big Boy Update:  My husband and I have been on my son's case about watching meaningful things when he's allowed screen time.   He doesn't like this infringement on what he deems his personal free time, but we're making headway, helping him find things that are interesting to him that aren't junk YouTube videos.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and Madison created a Carnival in the back yard today.  They wanted to invite the entire neighborhood over, they were so proud of what they'd set up.  Rain and crummy weather and we weren't able to put their plan into action.   They are going to try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment