Sunday, January 9, 2022

The Doctor is In

We have made more progress with the needle fear here.  I hope.   At least my daughter has jumped happily into scrubs and started playing doctor, pharmacist, nurse and patient (if the medicine involved candy). 

What I did that was hard for her was to talk her through the process of how an IV is inserted into your arm, including. letting her hold the little cannula that goes into your arm along with the needle.   I let her see how after the IV was in, you could put in medication via a syringe or then afterwards how fluids could be connected via an IV bag.   

I have a lot of these medical type things from years of collecting.  I gave her lots of supplies in our bathroom and told her how samples were taken on a cotton swab and then cut off, to be dropped into a centrifuge vial.  How test indicators were added and then how things were spun up (which we simulated with shaking.)

She performed tests to find out which of her stuffed animals were sick.  She prepared medications in test tubes, she made medications to put in medicine bottles.  She was playing all the roles and seemed much less worried about the needle than she had been at first.   

She's not over it, but things are getting better.   Here's a picture of her workspace from today:


The Tiny Girl Specimin:  Look at the words on the note at the bottom of that picture.   Yes, my daughter actually gave a urine specimin in the name of pretend science.   I moved it out of the way and she, too, agreed it wasn't necessary to do any more than that with it.   

The Big Boy Update:  My sone had to take the standardized test again for middle school entrance today.   My husband worked hard to get him the documentation necessary to allow him extra time due to the need for Adderall.   After all of his work, my son was finished early.  He understood how the test worked and was able to go through it more quickly than the first time.  I don't think he even used any of the accommodation time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment