Thursday, January 6, 2022

Panic Attack

My daughter's dental work did not happen yesterday.   Everything was planned, she was fine with it, she calmly went there and then when it came time for the IV, she lost it.  I haven't heard all the details, but it was bad.  So bad that they wouldn't do the procedure to remove her two baby teeth that are preventing her permanent teeth from developing.

My daughter has developed a fear of needles that ramped steadily with the two vaccination doses, but this was unexpected.   There was the possibility of using Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) but in my daughter's case, they didn't want to use it because it affects ocular pressure and we've already got enough to do managing that as it is. 

So they went home.  My husband in very untypical fashion was so angry about it that he wasn't talking to her.  When I got in he told me to, "play good cop" and I went to talk to my daughter.   She is upset.  And I understand and neither of us want her to hurt and know this was far more traumatic to her than it was frustrating to us.   We just need to figure out how to help her through it.  

I could not for the life of me find a meaningful audiobook or book that could be read aloud to her (we read to her, but she likes to be alone and listen in her room a lot).  But I did find a six hour adult book which was how to help your child with anxiety.   

I talked to my daughter and told her she could use the information in the book to think about what she would do if she were being given the advice.   She listened to a lot of it yesterday and initially said it wasn't very helpful.   Then, out of the blue last night, she said, "you were wrong mom."  I didn't know what she meant.  I had said, "well, the book might not be that useful to you.  I'm sorry if it isn't, it was the closest thing I could find."

She said she wasn't completely honest with me earlier in the day and that she was learning a lot from the book.  She even gave me good advice for how to calm the dog when someone comes to the door and she goes all bark, jump and more bark. 

Not only is it helping her, I said, but she was helping me.   

The Big Boy Update:  There have only been seven students in my son's class the first week back to school.   There were strict requirements on eligibility to return and some of the students are waiting for test results or are staying home because they were exposed to someone.   He and his teachers have said it's been a nice week with the small group.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter doesn't know it yet, but I have a final test for her when she thinks she's mastered her fears.   I'll have to let you know how it goes when we get to that point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment