Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Need More Cowbell

Pop Culture is an infectious thing.  My daughter tonight after the children had been excused from dinner asked Nana where those "other toys" were she'd told her about.   Nana said to look in the bottom drawer in the dresser in their room.   It was no surprise when not two minutes later the call for, "Mommy?" came floating down the hall in a high, tinkling little girl voice.  

I went to see what questions she might have about the toys, which to a sighted child would have been obvious.   A child with vision would have gone through the things and decided what they wanted to do first.  My daughter needed help though because she didn't know what was in the drawer.   She didn't know if she wanted to play with any of it, because she didn't know what it was.  

I described each thing, labeling a lot with, "it's a seeing thing" and telling her what she might do with the things that I thought she could do.   Even with the list narrowed down to only those things she might be able to do, most of them required an adult or other person to be able to do.   But she was okay about it, she had at least a few new things to play with. 

I went back to the dinner table and a few minutes later my daughter came down the hall making a banging noise, saying, "Greyson, we need more cowbell" as she banged on a little cowbell from a charity event.

One of the big Saturday Night Live skits of my era was the, "Gotta have more cowbell" one with Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken.   Even our car has a cowbell mode where it plays a portion of the skit with the Blue Oyster Cult skit in the background.   My husband and I were proud of her in a strange, pop culture sort of way.  

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Early Egg Hunt Cooperation:  My son was a gentleman this morning and helped his sister find an equal number of eggs in the early Easter Egg hunt my mother-in-law planned.   She told them she had talked to the Easter Bunny and asked if he could bring the baskets and eggs over early so she could help him.   The children didn't have any problem with this at all and were just glad to be getting eggs.   My daughter was very worried she wouldn't get an even number of eggs and had to, unfortunately, be sent to her room at one point, because she was so focused on not getting an egg or the evenness of eggs, even though everything was very carefully being done to ensure things were equal.   She finally calmed down after her brother came to give her one of his eggs after seeing how upset she was.   He was very sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment