Wednesday, March 3, 2021

A Change in Attitude

I've been stressed lately.  I could say there was a lot of stress on me, but realistically, I'm putting it on myself.   I seem to be able to overcommit myself time and time again.   And then I set milestones and goals and what also happens time and time again is there is just not enough hours in the day to get accomplished what I had set out to do for the day. 

My husband is running into the same thing.   The children at home for so much of this calendar year has put us behind from where we would like to have been on several things.   Each day he'll say, "I'm going to get the such-and-such done today" and then it's eleven at night and he hasn't even been able to start on it.   By then, we're both tired and don't want to embark on something that might take us several hours, only to find we can't complete the item for a hitherto unknown reason. 

The difference, I think, is attitude.   My husband doesn't seem bothered by this.  Tomorrow is another day, as the saying goes, and he picks up where he left off the day before without complaining or worrying.   I am the opposite in a lot of ways. 

I lament that I wasn't able to get the work I had wanted to complete finished.   I fret that time is passing and things are still incomplete.   And I complain about the above situations.   And I hate when I complain. 

I have a friend that kindly listen to me complain.   He had cancer a number of years back and he said it put a whole different perspective on things.   He didn't worry so much and was fine if things took longer to complete than he had hoped they would. 

I thought about those words and that night I told him thanks for the advice.   He replied that he didn't mean to sound preachy, and I told him it didn't come across that way at all.   Still, I told him, thanks for the advice because I'm trying to adopt the same for me.

So far, so good.   I don't know how long it will las, but I'm going to continue to try and not worry so much about deadlines and goals.   Even my husband said he was thinking about saying something to me because of the amount of stress I was bringing down on myself.

The Big Boy Update:  My son still has no screens.   He is, however, working towards getting them back, both in reading the required books, but also in changing his attitude.   He did several things towards that goal today, including some positive interactions with his sister.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter talked to Scott today.   Or rather he asked her questions and recorded their conversation.   Initially, she said she was only going to talk to him for three minutes but she ended up talking for almost forty minutes.   She knows about the podcast, but she thinks it's about our family and isn't as focused on her blindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment