Monday, March 8, 2021

Twelve Hours

I was at the computer yesterday after picking the children up from school and I couldn't stay awake.   I would type about five words and then I'd realize I had no idea what I'd typed so I'd shake my head to clear it, refocus my thoughts, and then keep writing.   I'd make it about five more words only to have the same thing happen again.   So I went to take a nap.

This isn't uncommon for me.  My sleep is erratic at night and the past week has been not the best sleep-wise.   Usually, I'll get a couple of hours and then I'll be able to finish out the day, sometimes even staying up well past the children's bedtime, catching up on the things I had intended to get done but couldn't on account of the afternoon nap getting in the way.

Later, I was awoken by the dog bounding onto the bed, trying to lick my face in a gesture of excited hello as well as the voices of my husband and daughter chattering.   My daughter was asking me questions I was too bleary to answer intelligibly.   My husband finally got through to me, asking if I wanted to get up and that it was now nine o'clock.   

Nine o'clock!  How had I slept from five all the way through to nine?   I tried to focus my thoughts to get up and help with the bedtime routine.   Both children need a little assistance to go to bed from the, "yes, you have to go to bed now.  Put your pajamas on and brush your teeth."   That kind of thing, only repeated a few times, sometimes followed by us chasing them up to their bedrooms to ensure they don't forget they actually have to go to bed. 

My daughter isn't all that bad, usually electing to go to bed early more nights than not.  She's sort of the opposite problem in that she'll fall asleep in different locations without the pajamas or teeth part of the routine and then is internally hard to wake up to get ready for bed. 

My son just isn't ready to go to sleep.   Ever.   He doesn't need as much sleep as my daughter and we've allowed him to stay up in his room, provided he's reading or doing some other activity like playing with something.  There are no screens in his room, so usually after a bit, he heads to sleep himself without a problem.   It's getting the children to the point of being ready to go to sleep that we're still helping with every day. 

Except for last night, I fell back asleep before I could fully wake up.   I woke up again after midnight, but only for a few minutes.   It wasn't until five-thirty this morning that I completely woke up.  I had slept for a full twelve hours.  I think the lack of sleep finally got to me and this morning, I'm glad I slept all those hours because I feel ready to take on the day.   My thanks, as always, to my husband for helping out while I was sleeping.   He really is the best.  

Pretend I wrote this post yesterday and I didn't miss a day.   I'm pretending I did.

The Big Boy Update:  My son still is very angry.   He told me yesterday in the car after throwing a fit because we had to go get his sister again, that five percent of his brain had been turned off.   Why and what for, I asked?  He said when he finished reading his book and he was allowed to have screens again, he would feel better and it would come back on again.   Why wasn't he reading then, I asked.   The obvious question, it seemed to me.   He didn't want to talk about it, he said.   When he got home, the friends he can play with during COVID-19 were outside, so he asked me to set a timer for forty-five minutes and then let him know so he could come back in and read.   Did he read?  I have no idea, I was asleep.   I'll find out this morning. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter had something alarming happen yesterday.   Her eyes were both giving her stabbing pain.   She rated it a six on a scale of one to ten.   I called my husband and we realized we missed her morning drops.  She also had a pressure spike in the last week so we upped one of the drops to the more powerful one.  She suggested adding in the Atropine drops as well, because they've helped before.   This is a whole post because I learned some interesting things about her eyes I didn't know before but for yesterday, we gave her the drops as soon as we got home and an hour later all the pain had gone away.   Her pressure was well in the normal range, so it looks like it was a short-lived event.   But a scary one.

No comments:

Post a Comment