Thursday, April 1, 2021

Human Snow

The burns my children sustained from our mismanagement and irresponsibleness the first day we were in Florida continues to look bad.   My son is starting to peel now.   His back and shoulders are exhibiting a kind of human "snow" as he flakes and peels with bright red skin apparent underneath.   He's not in discomfort and hasn't needed to have more than moisturizing lotions or aloe vera applied to his skin.   He's not even asking for it because he's not in pain by it, we're just trying to put his skin in the best position to heal.  

His sister, on the other hand, is in a different position entirely.   She had a far worse time.   Her skin is far fairer than his and she suffered much worse burns on her shoulders and upper arms.   I remember this happening to me when I was a child once, and it was terrible.  

She was burned on Monday and since that time has had a long-sleeved shirt on anytime she's outside.   Getting clothes on and off her has hurt terribly.  Touching her shoulders makes her scream.   She blistered all over the area and is starting to have the skin peel off now.   Only what's peeling off isn't like her brother's snowy skin, it's too many layers of dermis, and what does peel off leaves underneath it a layer of skin that's raw and painful.   

I tried to put aloe vera today after she got out of the tub, but she couldn't take it.   I slathered her shoulders with vaseline, trying to just protect the skin.   I told her this wasn't just a sunburn, this went beyond that.   She wasn't trying to get out of sunscreen and we weren't intentionally not putting it on.   It was a bad oversight though for everyone.   I think she'll always remember after this week's experience.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son said to me tonight, "Why are palm fronds such a beautiful thing?  And why are they so easy to draw?"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was demanding and mean early on in the trip.   She had a few attitude adjustments and for some reason she's suddenly started seeing things from other people's perspectives.   She's been understanding and polite.

No comments:

Post a Comment