Wednesday, March 24, 2021

please don't fall asleep...

I have been reading a series of books to my daughter that she's been checking out from school.  In the evening, before she goes to sleep, I read a bit and have some time with just her and me.   Only there's a problem.   I can't stay awake when I read.  

I can not explain what happens, but I know that it occurs every single time I read to her.  There is some somnolence effect I have associated with reading to her.   I've read in the middle of the day, late at night, and just before bedtime.   Regardless of the time, I can't stay awake. 

I'm not reading for a long time either.   The book read cover to cover could probably be completed in less than an hour.  I commit to reading four chapters of the book at a time which is about a third of the book.  I hope every time that I can make it through without falling asleep. 

It's happened so many times now that I thought going up early last night to read to her would be a good idea.  I sat on an uncomfortable stool, thinking that would make a difference.   I knew I was in trouble when she asked me who a character was that I'd said the name of, only to realize I'd been falling asleep and read the name wrong.   I hadn't even made it to the second chapter. 

I got on the floor, sitting on my knees to try and jog myself awake.   I got mid-way through the third chapter and had had to change positions three times to keep from falling asleep while sitting up.   I don't know how it's happening. 

At one point very far away I heard my daughter quietly say, "Please don't fall asleep..."  I tried.   I even stood up at the end and somehow made it through the end of the chapter.   I told her we'd do the next section tomorrow and then I went downstairs and fell asleep at 7:30, not waking up until close to midnight, fully clothed, with my son gone and up to bed. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is doing distanced learning this week.   She's had a lot of asynchronous days recently but no real distanced learning.   She's back in online classes, getting frustrated at finding the mute key combination and getting her work done to turn in remotely.    She jumped right in with no fanfare at all.   After all this time, she's pretty much a pro at it. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son is back in school, although he has a low-grade fever still.   He, also, doesn't have a problem with the distanced learning.   He's been in classes this morning online and has his "desk" of materials all spread out on the dining room table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment