Sunday, March 28, 2021

The Sun Miscalculation

My daughter likes water.   She would gladly spend the entire day in the backyard pool at Nana and Papa's house.   This morning she was up early and had a breakfast of fruit and freshly made pancakes from Nana.  The minute she had finished eating, she asked if she could go into the pool.  

She put on her swimsuit from the night before and got into the hot tub.   I moved my breakfast outside and then went over beside her.   Her brother came out shortly, put on his swim trunks, and then they just took over, playing with each other, screaming, laughing, playing games, having fun. 

I had to go inside to get my swimsuit on so I told the children to make sure each other was safe and promptly got stuck inside for a while.  Other people went out and I did make it back outside in a bit, after taking care of the dog. 

It wasn't until lunchtime when I suddenly realized I never put sunscreen on them.   And worse yet, they weren't long sleeve swim shirts.   We fixed the situation at that point, but the damage had been done, literally. 

My daughter did the screaming bloody murder thing while she had aloe vera lotion and Solorcain.   She is now chilled from the sun and is under a load of blankets.   It's always the first day in the sun that you forget to put sunscreen on, no matter how early it is, even though the sun isn't high enough to shine on you.   Forgetting can hurt.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has worn his bathing suit on backward for the past two days.   He turned them around once, but he seems to like them on backward.   Somehow, they fit.  He's so thin right now as he starts to grow.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter walks very carefully around the pool so as to protect herself.   She still got hurt a half dozen times today, but she brushed them off.   She can play games with her brother and just go with all the visual things he talks about.   I don't know how she does it, but for a lot of the day today when I saw her playing in the water, I didn't think about her blindness, watching out to make sure she doesn't get hurt and calling out in time to stop her if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment