Thursday, March 11, 2021

The Bridge Wreck

My non-COVID-19 positive daughter was in tow with my husband and me as we went to check out a piece of property.  She didn't want to go and pitched a fit but we told her if she was home from school, she had to go with us when we had to do work things.   I wondered if she would like the location, knowing what I did about it. 

It was multiple acres with a vacated house from the 1970s that had never been updated.   When we arrived she wanted to know if there was a gate and upon finding there was, got out of the car to feel it and help open the old, metal frame.   She launched down the gravel driveway with the dog following her.   I gave her directions on a bit left or a bit right until we met her father at the house. 

She wanted to investigate the house all by herself, finding all the rooms and doors.   I tied the dog up and went in and answered all kinds of questions she had.   There was a majestic large stone fireplace that spanned three floors, lots of rooms, and a pool table in the walk-out basement. 

She followed her father upstairs to the second floor which had a bridge overlooking a view of the small pond across the large yard in the back.   She yelled down to me, "It's an awesome view, mom."   It's things like this that are so interesting to me.   There was zero view for her.   But I dutifully responded that she was right, the view was certainly beautiful when I had made it to the second-floor landing. 

We went outside and I let the dog follow us around as we investigated the grounds.  My daughter wanted to know what fun things there were around and I noticed a small metal bridge crossing the creek that flowed into the pond.   We went over and I told her the planks had rotted away, but she could climb out on the rails and sturdy base frame.   

She did so and was very happy, about to make it to the other side when the dog decided to follow her and jumped into what turned out to be body-deep muck to both follow my daughter as well as to get something to drink.   She had stirred up the now dirty water so I had my daughter come carefully back while I sent the dog further into the pond to hopefully have some of the water clean her now-filthy legs and belly. 

As my daughter exited the bridge she said, "I love bridge wrecks.   What else is fun?"  She didn't want to visit the boathouse but perked up when I told her there was an old swing set.   I couldn't take her there until I got the dog, who had now decided to sink into the water to cool off (it was over seventy degrees and sunny—she was hot.)  

My daughter decided it wasn't all that bad, going to see houses with us.   I didn't want to tell her this house was quite the exception.   To her, most houses we would look at as real estate agents, would be just a collection of uninteresting rooms to her. 

I like that there's a bridge wreck

The Big Boy Update:  I was going back over my notes that I take for blog post topics and I saw this one from last year when we saw my parents during which we celebrated my father's birthday.   After singing the birthday song my son said, "Gramps, did you like blowing out the chandeliers?"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Chelsea, Reese's music therapist, was outside, playing her guitar while Reese jumped on the trampoline and tried to sing off beat intentionally as a challenge.   She told Chelsea it wasn't hard for her at all because she just blocked out the music and did her own thing.   She also added, "I like to be annoying,"

No comments:

Post a Comment