Saturday, March 27, 2021

You Can't Get There Any Faster

We've been on the road for fourteen hours now heading to my in-law's house in Florida.   The house is snugly taken care of in our absence by the homesitter that doesn't need to be fed: our alarm system and cameras.   The trip has been long and grueling in the back seat, but it works for me because I can help with things the children need (my daughter more so than my son) and I can run interference when bickering occurs.

The other reason I sit in the back is to let the dog have the front seat.  It's fairly cramped in the single seat I sit in in the back.   The dog is covered in fur and the cooling back here is much less than it is in the front.   She can sit in the seat itself, or drop to the floorboard and get blown on by the air-conditioning directly up front.   She spends most of the time on the flat surface of the floorboards, being cooled as much as she can. 

We've stopped four times for relatively short durations at the supercharger.   They are getting faster with the later versions they release.   We achieved the fastest charging we've ever had at our last stop, charging at an astonishing 660 miles per hour.  By the time we had gone to the bathroom, we were ready to go.

One of the things that's interesting about driving an electric car is that you can't get to your destination by driving faster.   The faster you drive, the more electricity it takes to move the car.   The more electricity you use, the more time it takes to charge or, the more charge stops you need to make.   In our case though, we can't go for that long without a "potty break" stop with the children.   Or a, "I'm so hungry, I can't wait any longer!" repeated every five minutes.  

But we're almost at Nana and Papa's house.  Everyone is excited.   The dog even knows something big is about to happen.   For me, I just can't wait to get out of the back seat, get in their hot tub and hope my back will stop cramping. 

The Car Naming Discussion:  My son asked me, "Mom, what's your favorite filament?"  The children know I am singularly obsessed with 3D printing and the filaments you use to print with, but when he asked. I just stared dumbly at him and said, "Uh, I don't really know."   He said, "Because I think you should name your car whatever it is."   You can give a Tesla car a name that shows up on the dash.   He said a few minutes later something I couldn't stop laughing about.   He said, "What about Filament Flying?"   My daughter wanted to get in on the action and offered up, "The Power of FIlament."  I'm not sure yet what I'll name the new car, but I do like their suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment