Monday, March 22, 2021

A Fever That Wasn't

The children have been out of school a lot recently with symptoms that are in some way related to COVID-19, but aren't for them.   When one sibling is out, we take the other child out too.   Today, we were going to have two children back in school for the last week before spring break.

Only a teacher at my son's school became COVID-19 positive and the school decided to go remote for the remainder of the time before the break.   That was one child down.   This morning, things took an interesting turn. 

I had dropped my daughter off at school when my husband called to say my son had a fever.   Was it really a fever?   He did a lot of tests with two thermometers to make sure we weren't being alarmist, but the temperature was rising quickly.  My son was lethargic and had a stomach ache on top of the fever.

While I turned around to pick my daughter back up, my husband took my son to get a PCR test.  When they got home, my son fell into a deep sleep on our bed with his fever managed by Tylenol.   My daughter was told to not interact with anyone and I lay down, not feeling all that hot myself, although not having any specific symptoms like a fever. 

I was certain we had COVID-19 as a family.   Spring break in Florida was canceled.  Where and how did my son get it and who might we have interacted with that we need to notify.   Only late afternoon the tests came back for my husband and son: they were negative.   The PCR test is highly reliable for negatives, especially if you're exhibiting symptoms. 

So what does my son have and where did he get it?  Will the rest of us get it?   We just don't know.  The pediatrician said to monitor him and call in the morning with an update.   He doesn't have earaches that would indicate an ear infection.  He has a bit of an upset stomach, but not enough to be worried about appendicitis and his throat isn't sore.   Allergies don't present with fever and he has no other allergy symptoms. 

Any other year he would just have a bug that was going around.   This year, things are much more serious when you get sick. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son lay in bed all day.   I stayed with him some of the time.   He was calm and sweet.   It was sort of nice spending time with him, even though he was sick. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  When I picked my daughter up from school she said, "I was really hoping to get to see some friends today at school."

No comments:

Post a Comment