Monday, April 24, 2023

Meow Wolf

RMRRF was amazing.  People are still talking about it months later because the turnout was far, far more than the organizers or anyone expected.  It was their first event, and they did a very good job planning and executing the event.   The turnout was boosted in part because there hadn't been a maker faire in that area of the country before.  

COVID concerns have been continually diminishing, and people just wanted to get out.  I didn't get a break from the steady stream of people, so I took one whenever there was a lull and walked around, talking to people in the other booths.  It was a fabulous weekend, and I am very much looking forward to going next year. 

The one regret I have was an invitation some of us had for Saturday night after hours.   There was this place called Meow Wolf in Denver, and did I want to go?  It was very hard to explain what it was, but it wasn't something you wanted to miss.   It was only an hour's drive away in Denver.  

An hour?  I in no way wanted to drive two hours total after a long day or be cramped in a car with people I only knew from their online presence.   So I passed.   I was so tired.  My back hurt, and all I wanted to do was eat dinner and go to sleep.  I ended up at the bar at my hotel, hanging out with other people from the event, which was very fun.   But when the others got back from Meow Wolf I was immediately sorry I didn't go. 

It was hard to explain other than it was an interactive experience with room after room with each being their own mystery and adventure.   The rooms were created by people with imagination to spare and more artistic skill than two artists.   The place was so large you could spend over a day there and not repeat rooms.   They ran into people who were on their tenth hour in and were still discovering things and having fun.

The pictures and videos they were showing us at the bar were so oddly beautful, strange and exciting looking.   I should have gone.   

I talked to Matt about it later and he said next year the trip will be on Friday before the event begins since the setup day isn't as long or tiring.   I am not missing it next year, even if I feel awful . 

No comments:

Post a Comment