Monday, April 17, 2023

Girls Weekend in NYC, Farewell Until Next Time (Year?)

Day four of our NYC adventure as mother and daughter had us waking to an alarm.  We weren't in a huge hurry, but I wanted coffee.   My daughter wanted to roam the hotel more.   She had found the ice machine and kept us filled up with ice the entire time we were there.

She liked the stairwells as well.  The hotel was twenty-one floors, but it wasn't wide or deep.  My daughter would go up and down the stairs, meeting me in the lobby when I was coming behind her by a few minutes.   She knew the hotel staff and had a little spot she would wait for me at the end of the counter.   Everyone was so wonderfully friendly for our entire trip.  We made friends and wanted to come back, they were so nice. 

She and I went across the street to Starbucks, this being the sole time I had Starbucks on the trip after leaving town here.  When we got back to the hotel after our one-minute walk, my daughter took the room key and worked it with the elevator: holding it against a contact point and then finding floor thirteen, giving the elevator information that a paying customer was on and it could go up now.   My daughter would get the floors for other people in the elevator too. 

We had things happen many times on the trip because my daughter was blind.  The most common thing was people would ask if we needed elevator access.   Perhaps some blind people do need that assistance, but from my experience, the elevators are more out of the way and you still have to navigate to your seat of the location you were heading once you make it to the floor.  It was a nice offer though and we took them up on the offer several times, like at the Empire State Building for those eighty-six floors.

We made it to the airport with a delay to our flight due to fog.   After several more minor delays, we made it home just in time to ride from the airport to pick up my son from school.   I had the best time with my daughter on our New York City 2023 adventure, but I had missed my son.   It was so good to see him.  

The Big Boy Update:  I remember about a year ago when my son would be embarrassed by anything we did.   He still is embarrassed by almost anything, but he's okay with some things now.  I saw this weekend how my daughter is in the same place currently.  I would be giving her a compliment or just engaging in small talk in someday, like how my daughter is can find the floor to our room on the elevator faster than I can.  I told her I was giving her a compliment, but she said I shouldn't talk about her in front of her.  That other parents don't do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment