Saturday, April 29, 2023

He's Home

I have really missed my son.   I left for RMRRF, and while I was gone, he left for Acadia National Park with his Upper Elementary class.   He was scheduled to come home late evening tonight, but as things tend to happen, they were delayed.    He's in now, and I'm happy he's home. 

He doesn't smell like my son.  That might sound odd, but he doesn't smell like he normally does.   He smells like a great aunt's house.  I don't have a great aunt that I'm referring to, but this smell is how I imagine it would be if you had a great aunt that wanted to have you over for the summer vacation.   It's not a bad smell, it's just a musty, older house smell.   Some people love the mystery of old houses.  And I have to admit, the times I spent with my grandmother over the summer were interesting times indeed and the smell was part of what made it so memorable. 

The thing my son said when he got home though.  The bit that was so heart-warming, was after I'd calmed down the bouncy jumpy dog who was just beside herself with happiness he was home was the first words my son said to me as I sat on the floor, hugging him.   He said, "I want to play video games."   It just melts a mother's heart. 

The Grown Up Girl Chronicles:  Aunt A sent some adorable stuffed guinea pigs for my birthday.  Their names have been up in the air until recently when they have been settled upon.  This is not unlike what we went through when picking Cheerio's name.   The new siblings are Trix and Fruit Loop.




No comments:

Post a Comment