Monday, April 3, 2023

Horological Tiny in the Sun

I became interested in watch repair sometime back when I found two YouTube channels of people doing watch repair.   The repair was interesting but the taking apart and putting back together the watches was the most fascinating part to me.   The pieces were so incredibly tiny and yet so precise. 

Watches that were made eighty years ago were so beautifully crafted with little tiny screws, so amazingly tiny yet to exacting standards.   I wanted to see this for myself.  So I got some basic equipment that is outrageously inexpensive on Amazon for a kit of low-quality screwdrivers and other tools.   I also got some loupes and a way to hold the loupe to your eye with a band around your head.   

I was ready, I had some low-cost watches from eBay that may or may not even have all the parts to them because they weren't running.   I brought the watches and the tools, and I went out in the bright sun at the pool with the plan to take apart a watch or two.  

I have taken two apart now.  I have no plans to restore them.  This was more of a discovery step to see if I could see for myself.  With the loupe on, the screws and other parts don't look all that small.  When I have it off, I can barely see them in the bottom of the little container I was storing them in.   

I have more broken watches.   I am going to take apart more because the two I had weren't ideal candidates as they were partially electric.   I want to find the jewels, which are synthetic yet so precisely milled.   It's exciting stuff!

The Children In The Pool:  They were in the pool all day.   From breakfast until after seven o'clock when my mother-in-law called us in for Easter Sunday dinner one week early since we'll be traveling next week.   They had a good and exhausting day today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment