Sunday, April 16, 2023

Girls Weekend, Sunday in NYC 2023

We slept fairly late on Sunday.   We woke up hungry, and I was looking forward to a nice breakfast at a cafe or deli.   My daughter didn't want most of what I suggested, so we decided to go back to Times Square, to the Krispy Kreme store (which had hot doughnuts now, so the phone said.)

Did I mention there was a doughnuts theme for the weekend?  We got some interesting doughnuts.  My daughter selected a basic glazed.  I got for us to share the Big Apple doughnut, which looked like a candy apple with a red glaze on top.  There was a stem made of a pretzel and a fondant or perhaps icing leaf.   It came in a special little box so the icing wouldn't get mussed up.  Perhaps people were taking these home from vacations, and the container needed to be more rugged. 

The other doughnut was a Biscoff and cream variety.  We love Biscoff spread and put it in ice cream—one of my husband's favorite things to add in.   Boy, was it good too.  I hope they're selling them at our local Krispy Kreme because that would be reason enough to head downtown to get some.  

We then had some running about that took us up until our second show, Harry Potter and The Cursed Child—which was excellent.  We both loved it.  The problem was I didn't remember to bring my earbuds, and I needed them so she could hear the assistive audio for the show.   A lot of places provide a unit and headphones, but they use an app that works if you do all these specific steps properly. 

We had to head back to the hotel to get my earbuds.  We took a taxi back and went into the show, heading over to ask for assistance with the assistive audio.   After going into airplane mode, connecting to their wifi, seven other steps that get you into a spot where the audio will play when the show starts.  

And it worked, but the phone had to stay open, and it was vulnerable to finger touches, which took you out of the assistive audio.   I got it up and going again about five times, my daughter lost the earbuds three times, and I was crawling on the floor with my phone light as minimally intrusive as possible.  At that point, I went to ask for help, and they just gave me a headset and phone and said I could bring it back.   After that, things went smoothly. 

We went to It'Sugar after the show and got even more candy because it's good to have energy food when you're on vacation...right?   Sigh, it was way overboard, but it was her weekend, and she was having a good time and wasn't bored like she had been for a lot of her break.  

We got to our hotel and decided on Italian food.  I had wanted Chinese.   The hotel suggested multiple things, but the one we ended up going to, which wasn't at all what I would have selected on Friday when I had more energy, was to go to Olive Garden. 

It was, yet again, in Times Square.   We walked the seven minutes over, got seated straight away, and ate a comfort meal of items we knew well from the times we'd gone there with Mimi and Gramps here in town.  

We went back, packed up, wedging the little gifts in (and the candy and chocolate).  Alarms were set for the morning, teeth were brushed, and we both fell asleep again right after the lights went out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment