Monday, November 21, 2022

The Last Minute Costume

My son is Ghengis Khan for Mystery History tomorrow.  He's been working on his presentation for a long time.   He needs to be in period costume for the presentation, but when we tried to show him options for available costumes, none of them would do.   We warned him, but he was not satisfied with any of the options. 

We were going out of town, and Nana is a master seamstress (or at least she is to me because there is nothing she can't sew or knit or crochet).  We told him to talk to her about options.   He didn't think to do so, which meant that last night, he remembered and went into a panic because we had one day left to come up with a costume for him. 

He went to sleep, and my husband and I did everything we could to find something that would be "delivered tomorrow."  There was virtually nothing.  Halloween, has passed and there was no costume store in town anymore with all the online ordering.  Party City had almost nothing, perhaps a beard in white.   

My husband found a hat we could modify with some 3D printed adornments and I found a toga (that we neglected to tell my son the name of) and my husband also found a black stole.   I had a furry jacket, and a friend I was on a business call with suggested the fabric store, which my mother-in-law went to and found another fur-like material that we've used to replicate full-length fur boots.  

It came together, but it would have been a lot easier if he'd gone with something less than the perfect image he had in his mind from the start. 


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got in trouble today in Choir.   She is getting in trouble lately and is upset about it when it happens.   She's starting to stand up for herself when she can't understand something and needs to self-advocate.   She's not doing a good job of handling how she lets people know that and is coming across more as frustrated defiant.   She's standing up for herself though.   It's just going to take time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment