Monday, November 14, 2022

Familiar Unfamiliarity

This morning I woke up in Frankfurt saw it was after nine o'clock and realized the breakfast we'd paid for was going to be over shortly if I didn't get downstairs.   I made it in time and tried a little bit of most things with the exception of baked beans.   Baked beans go well with bacon and hot dogs, both things I eat but baked beans just isn't a breakfast food.  Or so my mind tells me. 

My husband joined me in time before they closed, and then we went back to the room.  We weren't ready to go out and do things yet because we were still tired.  Perhaps it was lack of sleep at the proper times or lack of good sleep on the plane, but we both agreed we weren't ready to go exploring or shopping yet. 

My husband fell asleep and I got some messages from friends I knew would be here.  We had all elected on staying in the same hotel.   They were going out and I said I would meet the two brothers in the lobby.    When I saw them I gave them both a hug and then we headed off to get on a train to head to the city center. 

It was when I got on the train that I though of how absurd a thing I'd just done, and yet not one.   I had met two people I'd never met before in a foreign country and went off with them.  And I hadn't even told my husband other than saying so in a text message.   Historically and even potentially today that could be a dangerous thing to do.   

I did know these two people though and more to the point, I knew people who knew them personally.   So it wasn't that much of a risk.   I knew them both fairly well from the past few years, it was just that bit of meeting them actually face to face that had yet to happen. 

Speaking of, I have more people to meet (for the first time in person) in the lobby.  I'd better get my jacket on and head out to dinner. 

I hope the children are having a good time and are behaving for Nana and Papa while we're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment