Wednesday, February 2, 2022

This Great Idea! (That Isn't)

I've been introduced to someone who has connections with some people that it would be good to get connected with in the blind blind services corporate world.   This person is exceedingly nice and was already planning on doing something with this company and it's very generous to be invited to be a part of it. 

He's tasked me with doing something though that is not a good idea.   He knows 3D printing, and he is knowledgeable about blind people, but not from a direct contact, day-to-day perspective.   The idea is a good one, only it's not practical.   And I think he'll see that, but I'm going to have to have a conversation with him about it and let him come to that conclusion. 

The last time we talked about it on our first introduction call, he mentioned it right at the end (we were meeting for other purposes).  He threw out the collaboration and his idea, I said that sounded great, and then we had to go.   I didn't. have a chance to think through the idea.   

Since then, he's pitched the idea to corporate people, who know all about the visually impaired, but don't know about 3D printing.  It sounded good to them.   And it is a good idea, it's just not a practical idea.  

For instance, let me know what ten flavors of pop corn you think would be most successful at the movie theater.  Let me know when we talk again.   You can come up with ten flavors of pop corn, but the reality is, people are going to get the traditional flavor and candy far more than they're going to get your bacon and broccoli popcorn, even if they are fantastic.  There are just better options.   

It will all be fine, but I hate telling someone their great idea is good, but the context it's in isn't.   Or maybe I'm wrong.  I'm going to ask around and see if there's something I'm missing.  3D printing is great in that you can print all sorts of things.   Some of those things are just more practical to get via more traditional methods.    Like a 3D printed newspaper: Possible? Yes.  Practical? No.

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to ask if he could get on the computer tonight.  I was on a call.  I asked him to tell me quickly.   He launched into a very long, well, I could tell it was going to be long, I interrupted and said, "are you asking if you can get on the computer?"  He said, "you don't understand". I said, "if you want to get on the computer, just ask, I'm on a call". He said with an odd look, "can I get on the computer???"  I said yes and he looked confused, like how did he just get away with that?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter took a walk with Lisa and Charlotte the dog today.   Lisa said she would be glad to spend some time with my daughter and my daughter loved it and loved seeing Charlotte again.   Oh, and she got paid for helping out this past weekend with Charlotte.   She was not expecting money, and was really excited about that part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment