Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Lack of Music

I got my daughter's music packet ready for Choir tonight.   I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing from an information consumption perspective, but what I prepared for her is a shadow of what the other students have. 

They have sheet music, most of which is above their heads.   Likely all of it is because the music is for piano or other instrument and it is quite complex.  There is the music notation and the locations where you sing the various words.  In some places there are multiple parts to the songs.  

All my daughter gets is the bare minimum.   She has a single sheet with just the words she'll be singing with no indication of how they'll be spaced out or the tune in which they'll be sung.   What I try to do for her is give her the most important part of the information she needs: the words, and leave the rest to her ears and her teacher's instruction. 

She can only move so quickly through braille and has only the tips of her fingers to consume the information in a serial fashion.   She can't absorb lots of information at once like we can as sighted individuals.   So for her, even though it's less, for her it's the right amount of data. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son had his Alexa playing an audiobook at eleven tonight.  My husband stopped it remotely five times and then I went up to talk to him and see what was going on.  He wanted to start the book again but I told him we'd be watching and he had two choices: control his want to listen to the audiobook or have me control it for him by taking his device.  He opted for the former. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles. My daughter doesn't seem bothered at all that she has less information than the other choir members.  Her brain is quick and her memory is excellent.  She can answer questions the others can't because she wants to succeed.  Because paying attention and memorizing things is important to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment