Saturday, February 19, 2022

Good Parent, Bad Parent

For a while I was the bad parent.  As in bad cop type of bad parent.  Mean parent?  More strict parent?  My children definitely liked their father more in some ways.   But recently I've been the good parent, coming in and saving a bad situation, soothing the child and commiserating after my husband has firmly enforced rules they know and have known for a long time but are deciding not to follow. 

Today, my son was so upset at his father for something he shouldn't have even been surprised about.  My daughter and husband left to go out and suddenly my son wanted to spend time with me.   We had a nice time talking and doing things together until he wanted to go do his own things.   It's nice to be the good parent for a while. 

The Big Boy Update: My son got me to download a golf game on the iPad.  He said I would love it.  I was skeptical, knowing the kinds of games he likes.   But he was right, it was silly and fun and both challenging and easy at the same time.   I said I'd play one level, but I ended up playing a lot more with him. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter went on a motorcycle ride with her father today—the first real ride.  He got her a helmet and riding jacket and a communications walkie talkie like thing so they could talk while riding together.  She absolutely loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment