Thursday, February 17, 2022

No Fear For The Young

Children fear things a lot less than adults in some cases.  Sure, they're afraid of what goes bump in the night and we know it's an acorn on the roof, but they're unafraid of other things we shy away from, like new technology.   

My son asked me tonight if he could design himself some things for his desk.   He wants to make a headphones stand, some drawers under his desk, and several other things, all that he would design himself and then we would 3D print them for him.  

I've been wanting to get into CAD design for some time, about the same amount of time as we've had 3D printers.   But it's complex and the things I'd want to design are non-trivial, so I haven't gotten around to starting.   And I really should have by now. 

My son wasn't intimidated by the potential complexity of the problems he wanted to solve, he just wanted to get into Tinkercad and see if he could design something—and he did, in a very short amount of time. 

The Big Boy Update:  The part my son designed for his desk tonight didn't work out.  But he was close.  He got the calipers from the workbench and measured everything without even being told that was the first step he needed to do.   He would have gotten the measurements just right had he not forgotten to allow for the attachment ring he added to the inside of the desk clip.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter gets very emotionally involved in the books she reads and listens to.   She gasping, calling out to the characters and saying, "nooooo!" to the epic fight scene that was happening in her book we were listening to on the way home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment