Thursday, November 18, 2021

With Flying Colors

My son took a standardized test today for Middle school entrance.   We went to one of those testing centers and he (and I) had to go through more security than the airport to allow him to go in to take the test.   I had to sit and wait while he was the only child amongst a collection of adults.   

We were worried he would be upset or lose the ability to sit there and test for the entire three hours.   He came out for three short breaks and calmly sat to talk to me.   When he was done he and I went to get lunch, which he wanted to take to go in the car so he could get to school for a music event he and his classmates had been working on.

As we drove to get lunch I asked him how he did.  He said, "I passed...with flying colors."   I talked about how he did and he told me about some questions and then we talked about other things.   He seemed nonplussed about the whole test.

When I dropped him off at school his teacher gave me his COGAT test score, another standardized test he had to take that's nationwide.  He was at the 99th percentile in two of the areas and 97% in the other.   We really had no idea how he would do with these kinds of things.  It looks like he does fairly well. 

The Big Boy Update: My son's COGAT percentiles are in comparison to national scores.   Within his class,  he scored right at the 50th percentile, which means I think that the school is doing a good job educationally. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been grounded until she reads the book(s) she's been putting off reading.   She's had several weeks to read them and tonight we drew the line.   She cried, saying her fingers would hurt.   I believe her, but she wouldn't have to power read if she would read some every day.   I thought of something I could give her for her fingers that would lubricate them.  She liked it a lot and got a good bit of reading done.  I made a little roller bottle of what is actually a hair product I repurposed for her fingers and have it in a little zipper pouch attached to her backpack now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment