Friday, November 12, 2021

Ten Today

My daughter turned ten today.   She was so happy about being a year older.  She woke up and asked about presents and because we had some on hand from some family members, after getting my son off to school, she opened them up.   

She's off of school today and tomorrow for some teacher workdays and she wasn't letting us get away with waiting to have the presents later.   You never know about presents for a blind child but I had hoped the things I put on her list would be things she liked.   

As it turns out, she was thrilled with both of them.  The first were some plastic tubes that are like the bendable straws that can stretch, only these were much bigger and the entire length expanded.   She had thirty of them and she loved them.   

We sent a video to her aunt, uncle, and cousin of her opening them.   I have no idea how she knows what something is so quickly.   But her hands can tell things ours wouldn't be able to.   Her friend, Madison, came over in a bit and they hooked them all together and had a grand old time with them. 

Then she opened a toy that was targeted at much younger children, but I had a feeling she would love them.   It was a set of dolphins that made different notes when they were in water.   Musical dolphins for playing in the tub.   Since my daughter still loves to play with toys in the tub (as does her brother sometimes) I thought she would like them. 

She and Madison ran off to the bathtub and they figured out how they worked.   I thought it might need batteries but no, it's all in how they're arranged internally.   She really loved them.   She and her brother did indeed have a bath tonight and made a big mess around the tub with music abounding from little tooting dolphins.  

She had what I hoped was a good day.   I got to spend some time with her and we had a dinner she picked out.   Her father was unhappy he had to be at the virtual neighborhood annual meeting since he's on the board, but she was okay eating her meal and talking with her brother and me, playing a game on Alexa. 

She's looking forward to her party this weekend.   A whole decade ago she was born.    It's so hard to think it's been that long. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son might act like baths aren't cool sometimes, but othertimes he loves getting in the tub and splashing around with his sister still. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was very sweet today.   We got presents from family members and many texts wishing her a happy birthday.   She smiled every time I read one to her and said things like, "aww, that's so nice."

No comments:

Post a Comment