Tuesday, March 7, 2017

What Does B, B, S, T Spell?

My children are both sounding out words now.   They see letters around and want to know what they mean.  My daughter has a harder time seeing letters, but she can see them when they’re up close and she does know the alphabet.  

They’re each working on spelling words at school and one of their favorite games at home is to spell out random letter sounds, asking either my husband or me what word they spelled.    We try very hard to pronounce the unusual letter combinations they make up, which sometimes makes them laugh, followed by spelling an even longer and more crazy string of letters.

Tonight on the way home from dinner we were playing this game.   My son asked what B-B-S-T spelled and my husband and I made an attempt to pronounce it.   He asked what it meant and we said it wasn’t a real word that we knew of.   He turned around, looked and said, “but it says so on the building back there”.  

We looked back and saw the BB&T bank building sign behind us.   Oh, we explained, that was a real thing, only it wasn’t a word you pronounced, more like letters you said in a row and that ’S’ looking thing wasn’t an ’S’ but a symbol meaning ‘and’.    Can you imagine the questions we after that explanation?

The Big Boy Update:  My son was climbing all over the railings and stairs and columns at the restaurant tonight.  I need to look into a parkour class for him because I think he’d love it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter took her soccer ball into the back yard.  She took it to the top of the slide.   She slid it down the slide.  It rolled down the hill into the briars—like it always does.   She cried and wailed.   How is this still a surprise when it happens?

No comments:

Post a Comment