Saturday, March 4, 2017

Lactic Acid

My best friend and I ran a marathon today in the park across the street where we regularly run.   We’d done a trial run, doing the full 26.2 mile distance.   We did a portion of the single track trails we’d be doing today and didn’t have much difficulty with the run.   We were ready.  We were trained up.  We were prepared.

Today the race started off well but a little over half-way through I started to have bad pains in my legs—in my entire legs.   It got worse and worse.   There was lactic acid building up in them and I couldn’t get the pain to abate.   I drank excessively at the water stations and ate food at every stop as well.   Nothing helped.

When we were about two-thirds through the race I’d slowed down a lot and had to walk from time to time.   We ran into one of the race volunteers who told us we were on the edge of being cut off due to slow pace so we’d better pick up the pace.

I tried.  I tried to run faster, not walk and keep a decent pace, but it was hard.    We came in at the end of the race just at the final time cut off, something I’m glad we were able to do.   But it was a painful race.

I’m not sure what the lactic acid buildup stemmed from.  I’ve run a good number of marathons now and I know how to fuel up and hydrate before a race, but this time something just didn’t work well.

I’m glad we made it.  I’m tired now and am thinking of going to bed at seven o’clock.   I’m looking forward to some sleep.

The Big Boy Update:  Uncle Jon came over with a new video game to show my husband and son.  They had a fun day trying out the new system together.   My son loves video games and was happy to have a chance to see Uncle Jonathan.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to dress me today after the marathon.   She went into the closet and picked out a dressy, polka dot shirt for summer weather.   I told her it was lovely and am wearing it now.  She also got me some shoes to match.  

Marathon Update:  I’ve run a marathon distance run fifteen times now, including today.   Today was one of the two most difficult runs I’ve had due to a buildup of lactic acid in my legs.   We finished though, although with a very slow pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment