Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Thousand Dollar Meal

My husband had a new recipe he wanted to try for dinner.  He went to the store to get ingredients we didn’t have  as well as the myriad other things which had piled up on the shopping list.   When my daughter heard there was to be cooking she pulled her stool from around the corner and did some helping.   The amount of helping is always a mystery to me because mostly I’m elsewhere if the children are busy with my husband, accomplishing things more easily done unencumbered by youthful minds.

The meal was good, great in fact because there was an excessive amount of ginger involved in the dish—a single ingredient that will rock ratings through the roof if I’m one of the judges.    My son and daughter also seemed to be liking the meal with my son stopping to ask why dad was a chef?

My husband explained how chefs worked for pay and made other people dinner while he just cooked for our family.   We got into what it meant to pay for the meal and how much a meal would cost.  My husband said, “you could pay me two of those pompoms you’ve earned to pay for the meal.”  My son wasn’t so sure about that, saying he had worked hard for those pompoms.  

He thought about it a little longer though as he had a few more bites and said, “I would pay you a thousand dollars for this meal.”  My husband asked him if he was sure, saying that was a very generous amount, especially after the pompom rejection.   My son agreed that yes, a thousand dollars would be fine for payment.    My husband said he’d better save this recipe so he could make it again.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a fireman visit his class on Thursday.   We knew it had happened but we didn’t hear anything about it until today.   He started by asking us if we had a fire extinguisher in the house, then smoke detectors and what about sprinklers?   He then told us about his classmate’s uncle who came to tell them about being a fireman.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My son and husband were discussing how much you might leave for tip when eating out at a restaurant and why you would leave a tip for the waitperson.   My daughter listened and then said, “I never knew math was real.”

No comments:

Post a Comment