Monday, March 6, 2017

Head Rest

I was at a dinner tonight with some of the mothers from my son’s class at school.   We were all talking and enjoying the drinks and food but as I looked around I noticed something.   People were sitting back, they were leaning forward, but no one was doing what I was, which was putting my elbow on the table and resting my chin on it.  

I’ve been watching this behavior I do for a while now.   I realized I have a lot of strength in some muscles in my body because, well, marathon and other things.  But some places I’m weak.  My neck is one of those places.  Or maybe it’s not weak, but it’s easily strained.   There are some positions I can do without causing pain or muscle spasm backlash while other things I can’t do for even a few minutes with repercussions.

Resting my head on my hand takes just enough weight off my cervical spine to make leaning forward to talk to someone down the table comfortable as opposed to painful.    Fortunately these days putting your elbows on the table isn’t as much of a social faux pas as it was years ago.  Otherwise I’d have to be okay with being a rude dinner guest.

The Big Boy Update:  My son and I had green beans on our plates the other night.  He wasn’t particularly interested in eating his until dad said, “who can eat the biggest bean the fastest?”  The race was on.   He was shoving the bean in his mouth as fast as he could.   He won, beating me by two whole seconds.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was lying on the ground yesterday and I was asking her to roll over so we could do drops.   As I said this I patted her bottom.   She said to me, “no tapping booty!”   I have no idea where she heard the phrase but I couldn’t help but laugh.

Not My Fitness Update:  My husband has been running lately.  He has a bad knee, but of late it hasn’t been bothering him like it used to.  Not too long ago (maybe last week?) he ran his first 5K distance without stopping.   And talking about not stopping, today he doubled that distance, running 10K or 6.2 miles without stopping.   Go dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment