Sunday, March 19, 2017

26.2 To Detroit

We did some scheduling wedging this weekend.  On Saturday we had our school auction, an event I typically would arrive at before lunch for setup and stay until cleanup was done around eleven o’clock in the evening.   I did do setup, but I came home for a few hours to prepare for Sunday, today, which involved running a marathon followed by flying to Detroit with my daughter so she can have an evaluation under anesthesia with her retina surgeon Monday morning.

I left the auction early, went home and had to get more things done.  I should have been asleep early so I could be rested for my 4:30AM alarm, but things didn’t go to plan.   I had more to do than I anticipated and when I finally got into bed I wasn’t able to go to sleep.  I woke up in the middle of the night and then again just long enough before the alarm would have gone off that I didn’t get back to sleep.   I think I got just over three hours of sleep last night, which wasn’t ideal before a marathon run.

The marathon went well—better than the one two weeks ago—but not what I had hoped for.   We paced at 4:40 for over ten miles and then we started to lose speed.   We came in at 5:12, which for us isn’t bad, but wasn’t what we were hoping for.

We crossed the finish line and headed straight for the car.   I got home, cleaned up and got ready for the flight to Detroit.   My daughter was excited, I was tired.   We’re here now in the hotel room at 9:30PM and she’s not tired at all, but I’m sending her to bed soon.   I hope to follow her shortly.  

All in all, it’s been a good day.   The weather for the marathon was ideal for this time of year, we had no travel issues and Detroit isn’t covered in dirty snow remnants.   Hopefully tomorrow will continue in this vein with positive news from our retina surgeon.

The Big Boy Update:  My son likes to play quietly by himself with Legos.   He’ll pull out the characters and various attachments like swords, flashlights, hats, capes, and make up all sorts of scenarios in his head for so long sometimes I think he’s not even in the house but visiting a neighbor child instead.   Today when I came up to tell him I was leaving and wanted to say goodbye he jumped up, hugged me and told me he loved me the most, and then immediately went back to playing with the Legos.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We got into Detroit after dinner time this evening.   I saw a McDonalds as we were headed to the terminal and suggested we eat there, to which my daughter happily agreed, saying she wanted to eat there instead of taking the food with us   As we were finishing our meal I said, “this was a good idea you had to eat before leaving the airport.   She replied, “told ya.   That’s because I’m a genius.”

Another Marathon:  Today was the sixteenth time I’ve run a marathon distance run.   I’m not getting any faster but at least I’m persistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment