Sunday, January 22, 2017

Two Parents are Better Than One

My husband is back from skiing vacation.  It’s nice to have two parents here.  It’s so nice to say, “you’re up on the next round of drops” and “if she wets the bed tonight, it’s your turn” and “I broke up the last argument, you go find out who touched the other one first this time”.   That kind of important, crucial parenting stuff you don’t realize is doubled when there's only one of you.

The trip was great I hear.  I’ve seen footage from my husband’s GoPro and the amount of snow they were skiing on was intimidating.   Fifteen feet of snow over the course of two weeks is impressive, with about a foot of snow falling each day.

This is what one of the ski patrol huts looked like on the first day they were there:


This is the same place three days later:


I think they’re going to make the ski trip a yearly trip from now on, next year with maybe slightly less snow to contend with.

The Big Boy Update:  My son did not want to go into the restaurant tonight.   He lay down on the parking lot and tried to crawl and complain his way forward before he got pulled up and walked in.   We knew he was overly hungry but couldn’t do much until the orders had been placed and food had arrived.   I told him he had to wash his hands, which caused a rare, yelling tantrum from him because he absolutely did not want to go into the ladies room with me.   I locked the door and leaned against it and told him I would wait until he was done washing his hands and I hoped we didn’t miss dinner.   Five minutes later (with lots of emails read on my end), my son gave in and washed his hands.   After that he was happy and calm for the rest of the meal.   Maybe he just needed to get some feelings out.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  On the way home from dinner my daughter told us, “I want children of my own, but I don’t want the eggs to hurt me when they come out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment