Saturday, January 7, 2017

It’s No Hair Off My Back

My best friend is Korean.   She was born in the United States, but she’s said before that she has been known to mix metaphors.   I’ve never seen this in action until today.    We were talking about something today that was frustrating to her.    As I’m writing this now, I can’t remember the specifics and the point of frustration, mostly because we got sidetracked with the analogy she couldn’t figure out how to make.

It was “it’s like running on a duck’s back” I think at first.   We went through some other options, mostly me trying to figure out what analogy she was trying to make when she got to, “it’s no hair off my back.”   What?

Finally, I realized she was trying to say, “it’s no skin off my back”.   After I stopped laughing I told her I liked her version better and from here on out, that was the phrase I intended on using.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Altercation Chronicles:  My son and daughter get along well.   Sometimes they don’t and usually the one that gets in trouble first is very sure they did absolutely nothing wrong.   Tonight we were at dinner at a neighbor’s house after a full day in the snowy weather.   Everyone was tired and the four children weren’t getting along as well as they had an hour before.   Suddenly I looked up to see my son pull back and hit his sister soundly on the back.   I grabbed him and my husband grabbed her.   I looked at him when I had pulled him away to see his face and lips bleeding from her scratching him in anger.   The explanation behind what happened didn’t make sense on either end, but it was clearly time to go home and get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment