Monday, January 30, 2017

Euthymic

I like words, particularly learning a new word.  I get this from my mother, who frequently brings me word quizzes from magazines she reads.   When I was growing up I hated language, english class, writing and anything having to do with all things written.   As an adult, I’ve found I like language, words, grammar and writing quite a lot.

My best friend was talking about something the other day and used the word, “euthymic”.  I stopped her and asked her what the word meant.  It was clear from the context it was based on mental state.  I was familiar with “euphoric” and “dysphoric”, but not “euthymic”.  

It means a normal, non-depressed, reasonably stable mood.   I’ve said about myself that I think I’m, “baseline happy” meaning when nothing depressive is acting on me, I’m a relatively happy person.   Now I have a word to go alone with the description.

The Big Boy Update:  My son got his hair cut today.   He’s on and off about wanting to get it cut.   When he got there today he told Hasan, “I just want ten pieces of hair coming off.”   Then, when we got home he said, “I want my hair to grow again!”  All that being said, I think he likes his shorter hair because it’s not in his eyes any more.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has gotten more interested in braille lately,  especially if it’s something she can “read” at night when it’s story time before bed.   Today she came home with a book she made with her Visual Impairment teacher with a single line of braille on each page.   I would bet she can read her book faster than her brother can read the first readers.   But that’s mostly because she has an excellent memory and remembers what she wrote when she created the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment