Sunday, January 15, 2017

Downhill?

My daughter’s vision is getting worse.   We’re not really sure why, but we’re all noticing it.   It hopefully is the cataract in the left eye that’s progressing.   When her retina surgeon saw her last week he said he wanted to wait to see what the right eye looked like at her next appointment in two months and then look at what needs to be done with the left eye (which has had nothing done to it yet other than increasing pressure).

It’s depressing, but we’re trying to remain hopeful.   It’s hard though.   There is just so much wrong with her eyes it’s hard to know what is getting worse, what she’s seeing, if she’s seeing anything with the right eye and how she’s coping and building skills to compensate.

Her vision impairment teachers talked to us on Friday at our IEP yearly re-evaluation meeting how they’ve seen her vision decrease and what they’ve noticed she’s been doing from an accommodation standpoint.   My daughter wants to wear her glasses all the time, including sleeping in them, which may mean they’re helping somewhat.   When I asked her tonight what they helped her see or which eye they helped with, she pointed to her right eye.

I don’t know if the right eye sees anything, but we’re going to hope it may be seeing something.

The Big Boy Update:  We were at a hibachi restaurant tonight with our family who’s been visiting from out of town.   My son was trying to get the last drop out of the soup bowl when he looked up and said, “Best.  Soup.   Ever.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I heard we were going to hear this from the children at some point because it was a common thing their classmates said at their level, but I hadn’t heard it until tonight.  My daughter was frustrated at me and said, “you’re not the boss of me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment